New Release: Simple:Press Forums 6.2
In this new version of Simple:Press, we will be focusing on providing additional options for selecting icons that can be used in Forum Lists, Ranks and Reputation. This is a small, incremental step in focusing our attention on the overall User Interface and User Experience in Simple:Press.
Introducing SVG Icon Sets
In version 6.1 and earlier of Simple:Press you are able to upload images that can be used as icons next to the names of your forums and forum groups as well as for your rankings and reputation levels. Uploading individual graphic files have some advantages but they also come with some disadvantages:
- Fixed sizes
- Fixed color options
- Single upload per file (its a pain when you have a bunch you need to upload at the same time)
SVG based Icon Sets help to overcome some of these issues – with some limitations of course. Thus, in Simple:Press version 6.2 you will be now able to upload icon-sets generated from the icomoon.io website as well.
An icon-set is a more efficient way of uploading, displaying and managing multiple related images.
Additionally, we are pre-loading a number of libraries to get you started. These can be enabled under a new FORUM->OPTIONS->ICON SETS admin screen.
On this screen you will also be able to upload your own custom icon-set that you create from the icomoon app. We have updated our documentation to include some guidance on how to create these icon files.
Possible New Benefit For Our Platinum License Members
With this release we are exploring the idea of offering a premium set of icons to our platinum license members. Under this plan, we’ll be offering our Platinum license holders 6500+ additional icons across about a dozen additional icon set libraries!
More information on how this might be implemented will be coming soon.
Note: This is not set in stone – its an idea we’re exploring.
Improved: Better Editor For Custom CSS
In WordPress version 4.9 or greater, we’re now using the CSS editor that WordPress includes in its customizer. With this editor you now have a better overall experience when adding custom CSS to Simple:Press including:
- Notification of syntax errors
- G00054: Resolve an issue with ordering and sorting forums.
- G00057: Update the filename used to pull information about translations for the Simple:Press dashboard.
- G00000: Remove an errant period that was appearing in a message in the licensing screen.
- G00058: Editing CSS for themes did not working.
- G00021: Uploading smileys in the admin area threw an error in the debug.log file.
- G00000: Increase the timeout used when manually checking for plugin updates. The prior value of 5000 was too low so its now set to 50000.